Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] yellowbirddog@hotmail.com is offline

Default how to repair pop-corn acoustic ceiling?

2006 August wrote:
My house is built in 1977 in Silicon Valley Northern California.
The white ceiling is what they so call pop-corn acoustic ceiling.
I need to replace a area of 16" x 22" ceiling dry sheet rocks.

Can you tell me how to re-paint this pop-corn ceiling to match the rest
ceiling?

What is this material and how to apply it?

Thank you.

Two words: KITTY LITTER.

I tried the spray on stuff and it was a horrendous mess that didn't
match at all so I quickly wiped it off.

I got a hot tip to apply a skim coat and smash kitty litter into the
skim coat. After it dries, carefully prime and paint to match.

Practice this on cardboard first to see if you can match your texture.
I found that applying primer or paint heavily on a second coat made
some drops that helped blend things by making the kitty litter less
angular/sharp/rocky looking.