Gary Hallenbeck

Default SCFM vs. CFM, also air flow/pressure across a regulator

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 19:57:22 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Roger Head writes:

http://www.cleandryair.com/scfm_vs__icfm_vs__acfm.htm

This page correctly explains that CFM, SCFM, ACFM, etc., ALL refer to "the
volume of air that is compressed each minute and it is measured on the
_inlet_ side of the compressor." The "S" or "A" prefixes simply further
specify the temp and humidity of this inlet air.

Contrary to what this basically informative, but somewhat flawed
website tells you, Flow is not necessarally measured at the inlet of
the compressor(in fact infrequently so except in the case of
centrifugal compressors which are usually rated in ICFM.) Every
specification I have ever seen requires quotation in SCFM. And from
your own website reference,which you have misquoted comes"By itself,
CFM tells you nothing about the weight of the air that is inside the
cube or the work that is available from the air. The first letter, "S"
or "I" or "A", ties the volume to a set of conditions that will define
the air in the cube and in doing so, define the available work."
Notice that the S ties the VOLUME to a specific set of conditions.

They then proceed to define S correctly and I and A in somewhat
misleading terms.

Gary H.