Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Underfloor heating as primary heating

Richard wrote:
Christian McArdle wrote:

There is an advantage in having rapidly responding heat output in a
kitchen.
This is because the kitchen can hold other considerable heat producing
devices, such as ovens, microwaves, washing machines and hobs. A
responsive
system can rapidly shut down, whilst a slow acting system may overheat
the
room.

This is why I think a composite system containing both fan convectors
and a
low output underfloor system would work most effectively in a kitchen. It
is, however, I concede, not the cheapest option by a large marign.

Christian.

Hi Christian

Sorry, I intended to convey in my posting that I think a composite
system is sensible, but wanted to see why Dr D doesn't.

I don't think the very small advantages are worth the extra cost.
If the room is in use and heated the floor will come up to room temp
whether its heated or not. Kickspace only useful if you leave it cold,
and require rapid heating just when you are using it. I've got fan blown
heaters here, and they are great in the bedrooms - take up almost no
space, and heat them from icy to cosy in an hour or so..but they are
pretty useless if what you want is all day heat. Noisy and sometimes
smelly due to dust getting trapped in them.

Dr Drivel can safely be ignored on all issues - I think that the rest of
us who may disagree on other things, would agree on that point.

Richard