Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Underfloor heating as primary heating

Christian McArdle wrote:
Not if your spouse suffers from serious cramp in her feet as a
consequence of arthritis. Why do you suggest that a kitchen requires
instantaneous heat? We spend more waking hours in our kitchen and
breakfast room than in any other part of the house.

There is an advantage in having rapidly responding heat output in a kitchen.
This is because the kitchen can hold other considerable heat producing
devices, such as ovens, microwaves, washing machines and hobs. A responsive
system can rapidly shut down, whilst a slow acting system may overheat the
room.

Not with a ruddy great slab of screed under it. That acts to stabilise
the temperatures.

Or 30 sq meter kitchen is totally heated except in the coldest of
conditions by an 700W output oil fired aga.

Cooking can kick out up to 2KW. Nothing can cope with losing that apart
from ventilation and fans or open windows.

In summer we shut the Aga down, and use the barbecue. Or an electric
stove ..The massive floor and its insulation keeps the kitchen cool.

This is why I think a composite system containing both fan convectors and a
low output underfloor system would work most effectively in a kitchen. It
is, however, I concede, not the cheapest option by a large marign.

Christian, your logic is wrong. Once the heat output on the room rises
above its heat loss, it doesn't matter how its heated. What matters is
how is cooled. UFH is ideal for places that are used a LOT. Its not so
ideal for - e.g/. a room used occasionally where you want fast heat up
and otherwise its left cool.

With the modern trend towards large kitchen/dining areas, UFH is
perfect. The kitchen is no longer the place you go into to prepare a
meal, it's where you live.

Christian.