Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Question on homeowner's insurance?

Todd H. wrote:
writes:

Oh, the reason i was looking elsewhere was that last year i had paid
$950, this year i paid $1200. I had asked my agent why it went up and
he said the property value of my house went up this year. However, the
city appraisal for my house was like $185,300 this year as opposed to
$185,100 from last year.

Unless you have a history of a lot of claims, live somewhere
particularly subject to major disasters or high crime, etc, $1200
sounds way out of line. For a $185K house, a homeowners policy should
be less than half that.

Insurance company wouldn't have any visibility or care about the city
appraisal I don't think.

We're seeing insurance rate increases across the board due to a
certain unprecedented natural disaster down south last year that many
folks seem to have forgotten about. The insurance companies paid out
enormous $ in claims and are in recoup mode.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/