Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Toilet: Dual flush retrofit?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a dual flush retrofit kit for a 1.6 gallon US toilet.
I've found some models available in Austraila, but I've been hard
pressed to find anything State-side. Ideally, I'd like to have a half
flush (0.8 - 1.0 gal) for liquid waste and a full flush for solids. I
know these used to be sold, but no one seems to carry them now.

A call to Home Depot was responded to with "We don't have them, but it
sounds like a great idea."

Any leads on products or plans to fabricate would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

A google search on "dual flush toilet" turned up pages of links. They
are still out there.

Try a urinal....or make your family resort to the lawn for number
1....~:

Or, depending on your family's olefactory and other sensibilities try
not flushing every time someone pees in it.

When there were severe water shortages in parts of the US a few years
ago I saw signs in office bathrooms reading, "If it's yellow, let it
mellow; If it's brown, flush it down."

*************

If you're really hung up on getting a "partial flush" for number ones,
here's a couple of ideas.

1. Use a bucket filled from the bathtub spout to manually slosh just
enough into the bowl to get the flush you want.

2. leave the top off the toilet tank and a stick standing up inside it.
Use the stick to push the flapper valve closed to stop the flush when
you want to.

HTH,

Jeff

--