Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Ghost Voltage

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:39:48 GMT, "peter" wrote:

"scorrpio" wrote in message
om...

A bit of trivia: hook a meter in series with a 40-60 watt lightbulb and
check voltage on the meter. Chances are, you'll get around 50-60
volts. Most meters are ranged to 400mA and a 60W bulb draws about
500mA. In series, they will split voltage about in half.

No general purpose meters I know draws 400mA when testing voltages. Except
maybe solenoid tester. They draw more current but I have no idea how much.
But solenoid tester can't give you accurate voltage reading at 50V.

I tried that (measuring voltage in series with 60W bulb). The DMM
showed 120V (same as supply).

The 400mA may be the limit for a current range on a 3 3/4-digit DMM.
That would have nothing to do with the load when measuring voltage. I
guess someone knows very little about electricity.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com