Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS GregS is offline

Default Gamma Radiation Detector, Testing

In article , wrote:
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 17:51:27 GMT,
(Brad) wrote:

Hi,

I bought a used "Radiological Meter" (gamma radiation detector)
recently. Note: I am an electronic service technician. The instrument is in
good condition, but I have no way of knowing if it actually can detect gamma
radiation without a source.

I know some smoke detectors use a radio active "particle". Could this
"particle" be a good source for gamma radiation?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Years ago Colmen Lantern mantels were radioactive

I have a water pitcher that is over 60 years old, orange glaze, that
reads 1000 counts per min. urainium oxide.

Uranium is the beast choice for gamma. I think with those yellow
meters, some kind of deflection should be seen if they go to .005 R.

On a side note, The house across the street was billed as the first family
fallout shelter home, with an integral underground shelter, and extra
strong house construction. They actually called it a bomb shelter.
Ever see that movie where the son came out after so many years Wasn't me.

http://zekfrivolous.com/misc/bomb.jpg

greg
..