Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Gamma Radiation Detector, Testing

Brad wrote:

Hi,

I bought a used "Radiological Meter" (gamma radiation detector)
recently. Note: I am an electronic service technician. The instrument is in
good condition, but I have no way of knowing if it actually can detect gamma
radiation without a source.

I know some smoke detectors use a radio active "particle". Could this
"particle" be a good source for gamma radiation?

Thanks in advance, Brad

smokes are alpha, americium 241. I cant think of any convenient gamma
sources, other than a nuke reactor, if you ever go near one on your
travels.

NT