Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS GregS is offline

Default Gamma Radiation Detector, Testing

In article , (Brad) wrote:
Hi,

I bought a used "Radiological Meter" (gamma radiation detector)
recently. Note: I am an electronic service technician. The instrument is in
good condition, but I have no way of knowing if it actually can detect gamma
radiation without a source.

I know some smoke detectors use a radio active "particle". Could this
"particle" be a good source for gamma radiation?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

By the name it sounds like one of those yellow boxes for CD work. I bought two
and could never get them to work right. Well one had a busted meter movment.

I measure 2 MR right at the clock face of by old Baby Ben, thats with the alpha
shield removed. I measure a higher reading, forget exactly, of my Pentax 50 mm
lens on the backside, since it has a Uranium based oxide coating.
The radiation source on the side of the meter I'm using also has a similar reading
as the clock face. The clock face has a plastic cover and would be a higher reading
without it. There is more Gamma comming from my camera lens, cause shielding
has less effect as the clock face. I don't know what the reading might be inside a smoke
detector, but I could not measure it through the case probably indicating an alpha source.

greg