Posted to sci.engr.mech,uk.d-i-y
Alex Coleman Alex Coleman is offline

Default Type of lube for blades on shredder?

On 13 Aug 2006, wrote:

Lars wrote:
What type of lube is best to use for the blades on a cross-cut
shredder?

I have all sorts of lube in my home workshop and I don't want to
go and buy some special shredder oil if it's hardly any different
to what I've got.

Just use any old oil or grease. I use some spray-on lithium grease
- works like a charm.

For safety reasons it's to apply the lubricant to a sheet of paper
(if it's a very light spray like WD40 allow it to evaporate a bit)
and then shred it.

Don't do what I did the first time - and just spray the stuff into
the slot - or at least, if you do, unplug it first. By the time,
the little straw triggered the sensor on mine, a nice explosive
mixture had developed around the motor. Left me with quite a lot
less hair and eyebrows.

!!! Wow.