Ned Simmons

Default SCFM vs. CFM, also air flow/pressure across a regulator

In article UtKGb.406579$655.95206612
@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net,
says...

CFM X psi for a compressible gas is not analogous to volts
X amps.

Ned Simmons

Whenever you let a confined gas expand there has to be a loss in its
potential to do work. Consider a pneumatic cylinder, it has more potential
energy in a more compressed or closed state. Is there any difference between
doubling the enclosed volume of a cylinder and expanding compressed air
through a regulator? That cylinder could do a certain amount of work
expanding, f x d. You would end up with double the amount of air at half the
psi, yet work was accomplished expanding the cylinder so there must be a
loss of potential energy in the compressed air. That's my "hand waving"
argument.

Works for me. That's pretty much the same argument I made
in the old post I pointed to with the Google link. Here it
is again.

http://groups.google.com/groups?
q=g:thl672785172d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
&selm=MPG.189e9353cdce4f36989893%40news.rcn.com

Ned Simmons