Posted to alt.home.repair
M.Paul M.Paul is offline

Default Base and Sand for pavers

Base rock (3/4 minus) should be used under the sand. Four to six inches
after compacting (compact no more than 3 inches at a time) - this will
result in a very stable base. Then 1 inch of leveled river sand (1" pvc
works well for this). Then set your pavers and finally a very fine (#30?)
sand in between pavers. To level-out the pavers, use plate compactor for a
final pass after all the materials are down. Then seal with a high quality
sealer to keep the weeds from growing in between pavers.

"Steve" wrote in message
. 142...
Does anyone know the material that I would use for a base for pavers laid
in sand? I did a previous job and used pea gravel, but I think crushed
stone would make a more sturdy base. Anyone know what type to ask for?
And as for the sand, there is some kind that hardens up, yet is still
flexible. What is the name of that material?