Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Tracy Tracy is offline

Default Please Help! 4 bulb antique floor lap wiring

I want to thank everyone for their advice and help. All messages were
read and very much appreciated.

Miss Tracy followed Jeffs accurate and concise directions and everything
went together very well. Thank you! Thank You!

My lamp now has a bright and shiney 15' UL approved cord, all socket
wiring replaced, and a new 3 way upper bulb socket. I still need to
replace the diffuser, which was broken in the recent move. Then I will
be set.

The lamp is quite beautiful and very much worth the time in rewiring.

Again, Thanks for all the great input. Its friendly and helpful people
like you who make the world a better place. :} I wish I could send you
all some freshly baked brownies!!!! :}

Tracy

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Tracy wrote:

I have my great grandmothers 4 bulb floor lamp that has started to make
crackling noises in the upper bulb. I would like to rewire all ends.

*********************

All OFF

#1 ON, #2 & #3 OFF

#1 OFF, #2 & #3 ON

#1, #2 and #3 all ON

All OFF again

********************

So, here goes, without benefit of a meter:

Connect the lamp cord's neutral side (the wide plug blade or ribbed side
of the two conductor cord) to the "shell" terminals on ALL four sockets.

Connect the other (hot) side of the lamp cord to the BLACK wire on the
lower switch and also to one lead of the upper switch.

Connect the BLUE wire to the #1 bulb socket's "tip" side and the RED
wire to the #2 and #3 bulbs sockets's "tip" sides.

connect the other lead from the upper switch to the #4 bulb socket's
"tip" terminal.

*****

Now, if the lower switch doesn't control the first three bulbs in the
expected fashion, experiment by swapping the three leads on that switch
around, starting with RED and BLUE. You can't blow anything up that way,
and eventually you'll hit the right combination to control the lights as
you described.

HTH,

Jeff