Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Tool You Just Love To Use

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 15:40:25 -0500, Tom Banes
wrote:

I wish that I could sort of hang with the OP and talk about some really cool
feeling I get with an old hand tool, but the first thing that comes to mind is
my lathe..

I can turn a scrap 2x2" into shavings and kindling and get more pleasure and
stress relief than a month of visits to a shrink..

The combination of spinning wood and a sharp piece of steel held against it,
with shavings peeling off is just a really great feeling...
Until cleanup time.. *g*

Earlier thread asked about most often used tolls (stationary, as it
happens).

Different question. What tool do you just like to use? Be it a kick,
or a zen experience, it's the one you just look for an excuse to grab.

For me, it's an old 603C (type 2) with a Hock blade. Something about
the size, balance, and the whispers it makes on wood, just makes me
grab it any chance I get. I even misuse it, when a larger or smaller
plane would be more appropriate. Heck, I used it to flatten and smooth
the top of an old Sjoberg bench I picked up at a garage sale! Coulda
used the 607C, but that beast is big, heavy, and ugly and the 608 is
just uglier.

Maybe I'll just dump all the rest of the planes rather than let them
sit, unused, in my plane hanger (that's what I call the shelf they
live on).

Tom

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis