Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hanging used solid core doors

Prometheus wrote:

Don't mean to sound dense, but is there a "new" way to do it that
doesn't involve the method you describe? As far as I know, that's the
only way to do it, except I usually use trim screws instead of finish
nails.

SNIP

I don't know of a new way that is better, but when visiting one of my
fellow contractors that do a lot of bulk installation I went over and
looked at how the install the doors they put in for a builder here in
town. He was a little embarassed, but he told me they had been doing
it this way for so long he didn't really think of it anymore. Here's
how it goes:

- put the trim (his came trimmed one side) on one side of the door

- put the door in the hole, line up the margins correctly, and shoot
the trim to the cripple
on the side that you have it on

- cram "stuff" in under the hinges (cardboard, plywood, sheeetrock,
masonite siding, etc.) and shoot a couple of long brads through the
"stuff" called by them as shims

- Bonus: if it is an outside door, it is required that they put a shim
under the door lock area

- put the trim on the other side

- done

It helps me understand why my door rehav business is so good.

Robert