Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Is it possible to get Liquid Wrench in quarts

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 00:46:44 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

mm writes:

Is it possible to get Liquid Wrench or the equivalent in quarts.

Don't be a sucker for "tiny can big label" marketing.

I don't think I'm a sucker. I've been using liquid wrench for 30 or
40 years and I think it is different from other things.

Liquid Wrench is just a petroleum distillate of about kerosene weight.
Gallons of (overpriced) kero at the paint store.

That's for sure. I needed kerosene too and it was 7 dollars a gallon
at Ace Hardware, (which did have the square U-bolts I was looking for.
I think I posted to say that already, follow-up to another thread,
where someone said to look in Ace Hardware and he was right.)

I think I'm going to buy kerosene at a fuel oil place. At another
hardware store I asked for kerosene and they sent me out to the yard,
and the guy there refilled my quart can from a big tank and charged
very little.

Diesel fuel would be the
cheapest ready source of kerosene plus a few smelly additives.

I've never seen evidence that any of it really loosens nuts, although it
does lubricate them after they're loose.

It worked just today, although it was the stuff that comes in the
"Zoom spout oiler", a cylindrical almost clear plastic bottle with a
long spout, in which is a movable tube which comes out to make the
whole tube about 6 inches long. I call it an oiler because I see the
oil for sale a lot of places, but the nut buster or whatever they call
it, I've only seen at 2 places, one of which doesn't sell it anymore.

Today I couldn't remove the distributor cap from my 95 Chrysler and
was starting to damage the screws, even with a good screwdriver. I
think perhaps it had never been opened and certainly not in the 4
years I've had the car. I put some of this on each of them, and
waited a couple minutes, and I got both of them. I don't think
kerosene is that thin, or that diesel fuel would work at all.

I have 3 bottles, one with this liquid wrench type stuff, one with
light oil, and one with 10W-30. Plus 3 empty bottles and I'm tired of
buying it 4 ounces at a time, or paying for 4 ounces more than what
they sell a quart for at McMaster (2.98) I'm going to make a list of
things and order from them. Thanks Edwin and Richard.