Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default No Color on Beta VCR

"VCR Gymnast" wrote in news:1155522224.368675.165020
@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

A portable Beta VCR (Toshiba V-X340) from 1985 works perfectly except
there is no color:

1. Pre-recorded color tapes play back in B&W
2. Tapes recorded on this VCR play back in B&W on this VCR
3. Tapes recorded on this VCR play back in B&W on other known good VCRs

Therefore, the VCR can neither record nor playback color signals.

The machine has no switch for B&W/Color and the 3.58 MHz oscillator is
not out of adjustment. I have checked out all of the Chroma circuitry
and all measurements are within the range stated in the Service Manual.

Could it be the video heads even if the B&W picture is flawless?
If not, what else can be tried?

Have you cleaned the video heads?

I had a VHS VCR that lost color until I cleaned the video heads. It
didn't come back all the way, but most of the way. It was really on its
last legs, though.

Puckdropper