Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] dom@gglz.com is offline

Default Wood burning stoves - what is the state of the art?

Top of the range stoves (rather than woodburners) are Jotul and Morso.
Jotul claim that their stoves are able to burn methanes in the flue gas
particularly efficently - and that the effect is to release less
greenhouse gases than if the wood was left to rot. A friend showed me a
scheme the French governent was running to subsidise this type of stove
because of it's green credentials.

There is one brand of stoves from the US that uses a catalyst (can't
remember the name), but more than one person has told me they're
problematic.

I've got a Jotul F600 and recommend it - though with hindsight I would
have paid a little extra for the enamel finish.