Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unsafe Patio Roof

"jimm" wrote in message
This is obviously an illegal and unsafe flat roof.
The snow/ice loading used for Ohio is 30-40 pounds/sqft.
And a person clearing a snow drift adds a concentrated and
moving load.

The owner says the roofs passed city inspection, so all is fine.
I don't want to pay for a structural engineer, so I need proof
that the roof must have joists, and purlins or decking.
(proof that any kid can understand)

Does the International Residential Code spell this out in a
clear way ?
I have found examples and specs, but I need to convince fools.

-- Any solid info appreciated.

How long has the roof been there? Seems like it is your opinion and not
fact. Makes me wonder just who the fool is.