Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default Bamboo flooring

In article , m44
says...
I was talking to a buddy of mine today and he mentioned that he was having
his kitched floors redone with bamboo. For a long time I was incredulous,
cause I always thought bamboo was this nice round segmented bush/tree that
was rife with problems - it was small and round, it was relatively soft, it
harbored bacteria, and it was hollow.

Nope. It's as hard as Maple, the hardest domestic hardwood. It's
not nearly as porous and makes for a decent kitchen floor.

He mentioned something about how it was processed into a composite material
that was harder than oak and very long lasting. What gives, when did bamboo
become a flooring material of choice?

Bamboo is significantly harder than oak and not *NEARLY* as porous.
We put bamboo down in the hallways, dining room, and kitchen last
year. The only "negative" is that because the surface is so smooth
it water spots pretty badly. It's a piece of cake to clean though.
A damp mop is all it takes.

Bamboo is dirt cheap too, cheaper than even vinyl (though it's gone
up some recently):

http://www.diyflooring.com/group_11553/bamboo-
flooring/envirochoice-bamboo-flooring/envirochoice-solid-bamboo-
6-.html

--
Keith