Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch Patriarch is offline

Default Tool You Just Love To Use

Tom Banes wrote in
:

Earlier thread asked about most often used tolls (stationary, as it
happens).

Different question. What tool do you just like to use? Be it a kick,
or a zen experience, it's the one you just look for an excuse to grab.

For me, it's an old 603C (type 2) with a Hock blade. Something about
the size, balance, and the whispers it makes on wood, just makes me
grab it any chance I get. I even misuse it, when a larger or smaller
plane would be more appropriate. Heck, I used it to flatten and smooth
the top of an old Sjoberg bench I picked up at a garage sale! Coulda
used the 607C, but that beast is big, heavy, and ugly and the 608 is
just uglier.

Maybe I'll just dump all the rest of the planes rather than let them
sit, unused, in my plane hanger (that's what I call the shelf they
live on).

Tom

I bought a sweet old Bailey #3, with a Sweetheart blade, about 4 years ago.
Didn't steal it, but the money was very well spent. That's a very nice
sized plane.

The LN Adjustable Mouth block plane, 9 1/2, standard angle, is one of the
finer tools in the Neander cabinet, and gets used on almost every project.
More money well spent.

Patriarch