Posted to rec.woodworking
Owen Lawrence Owen Lawrence is offline

Default Tool You Just Love To Use

Earlier thread asked about most often used tolls (stationary, as it
happens).

Different question. What tool do you just like to use? Be it a kick,
or a zen experience, it's the one you just look for an excuse to grab.

My coping saw. It doesn't get used much, but I LOVE the feel of it in
my hand when I need to cope something.

Why? Because it's the first tool I ever bought; I picked it up at a
garage sale when I was about 10 or thereabouts.

Is that the only reason? I've had a coping saw since I was about that age
and I hate it. Sometimes it's the only tool for the job, but for some
reason I can never get mine to work well. The blades always seem to bend; I
can't even make a flat cut in 1/2" thick pine, it seems.

If someone told me, "Your saw is no good, neither are your blades; here's
where you go to buy one that works..." I'd listen and give it a try.

I did buy a fret saw with about the same luck. I fancied myself doing
beautiful inlays, you know, the kind that have the 7 degree sloping edges so
they drop right in place and fit perfectly after a little sanding. I
haven't produce a single one yet.

Bah. Humbug.

Today I painted spruce 2x4s. (Select. "Premium Quality" says Home Depot.
What a joke.) Now there's fine woodworking for you.

- Owen -