Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck B. Chuck B. is offline

Default Generator on detached garage

wrote:
As a side comment we have satellite TV. During a severe storm there mau
be a outage, in rains so heavy you would pull off if driving. as soon
as the main storm passes our satellite tv comes right back up. We have
DVRs similiar toTIVO so during a outage we have in stock programming to
watch.

Back on the generator, 9KW probably is too big to support fuel wise.

I have 3 generatrs all portable the small 2500 watt gets the most
use........

uses less fuel, somewhat quieter, and lightweight for easy
transportation.

CHECK THE FUEL CONSUMPTION of a 9KW its a lot...

since gas stations depend on electric getting more fuel in a TRUE
emergency, when you need it the most will be a big problem.

another issue, although a permanent natural gas generator costs more
its a asset to your home that will increase its value. a work around
scheme will only cause hassles at home resale time.... perhaps decrease
value.

The key is choosing the right size generator. remember this doesnt
happen often.

so you need continious power for a window unit, fridge, small tv, a few
lights.

you DONT need to run every electrical device like it was a normal day.

you switch the different circuits as needed.

if you downsize your 9KW plan, your natrural gas meter is now large
enough, with a automatic transfer switch your wife has to do nothing to
start it, important loads will automatically come up during a outage.
she can make other decisions as needed.

what natural gas uses in your home? furnace? hot water tank? pool
heater? in a emergency turn off pool heat! such type decisions help one
get by when others are really stuck.

A permanent install natural gas unit increases your homes value! while
ooffereing much for you while you own it...

A lot of the gas stations here in SE Fla. have installed generators. All
new stations are supposed to have generators.