Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tim Schubach Tim Schubach is offline

Default Steady Rest for a 10" lathe

I think DeStaCo also makes a plastic version of these clamps that are more
affordable. Don't know if they're fit to use in this case, but may be worth
looking into.

Clever setup ...

tms

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article URLCg.19321$hj4.16928@trnddc03,
Lobby Dosser wrote:

I used regular 2" or 3" C-clamps for a while but wanted something that
was quicker - there are likely many clamp types that would work.

I was gonna ask what the clamps were, then I saw the 'de' in the brand
name. Pretty much anything that has 'de' in the name I
can't afford. )

As I recall, these de-Sta-cos were about $13-$14 each. When you compare
that to other quality clamps that will hold well - even Vise-Grips, they
are in the ballpark and even inside the baseline.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe,
warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called
degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your
finger. A pic for the strong of stomach:
www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for
finished smoothness.