Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] bridgerfafc@yahoo.com is offline

Default Router depth gauge

wrote in message
ups.com...
in practise, you might be able to rig something up with a dial
indicator, but leaving it set up all of the time on the router while
running seems like a bad idea; dust and vibration and all that, and
setup and takedown time is a bit much for each cut.

CW wrote:
With an easyly made fixture for the indicator, it would be a matter of
seconds to set up. It would also be portable.

yeh. I have several such fixtures... as often as not I'll make a
one-off for a given operation. mostly I make 'em quick and dirty and
reuse the parts I don't pitch when it's done. some have proven more
portable than others. probably something like Ed Bennett's device would
be most portable, but I've never been able to justify the cash outlay
for one.

don't get me wrong- indicators are great tools for machinery setup. but
for general application in adjusting a router they are a bit fussy and
overkill. I use one sometimes for adjusting the router table fence,
especially in situations where I need to make numerous small
adjustments including being able to come back to zero between non-zero
settings. there the indicator works a treat.

for adjusting a router for handheld use it seems like a pain, though.