Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dr Zoidberg Dr Zoidberg is offline

Default [OT] rough guide to cost of extension?

John Rumm wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

I'm idly considering an extension to my house and wondered if anyone
has a rough idea how much it's likely to cost.
I was thinking of a fairly lengthy 2 car long single width garage on
the ground floor , then an extra bedroom above part of the garage on
the first floor. That's probably about 8ft*30ft ground floor and
8ft*15ft first floor. Obviously it's impossible to give anything like
exact figures but it
would be nice to have an idea of if I'm talking 10 , 20 , 30 , 40k
etc

Flat roof or pitched?

Pitched for the first floor bedroom and flat for the section of garage roof
that would extend further back into the garden.

I would guess that even with a flat roof you would be looking at the
top end of your scale there as a minimum figure. With a nice pitched
roof then you could easily run £60k+

From what you and others have said , the average guesstimate could be 45-50k
and I suspect that it would work out easier and a similar cost to simply
move to a 4 bed house with garage.

You could however DIY for £20 - 25k I would have thought.

Some of the work I'd be more than happy to do myselft , but I'm sensible
enough to realise my limitations and wouldn't want to attempt the project
entirely without professional assistance.

Yes I realise I could phone a couple of builders but in my
experience they don't like to give even rough guesstimates on the
phone and I don't want to waste their time getting them to visit as
this isn't something I'd be getting done for a long while.

To get a decent idea it would help to have a set of plans drawn (may
cost you £350) - may also cost as much again to get them submitted and
approved by building control.

Proper plans are one thing that I would be happy to DIY - I may as well get
some use out of a civil engineering degree :0)

--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk