Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default [OT] rough guide to cost of extension?

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

I'm idly considering an extension to my house and wondered if anyone has a
rough idea how much it's likely to cost.
I was thinking of a fairly lengthy 2 car long single width garage on the
ground floor , then an extra bedroom above part of the garage on the first
floor. That's probably about 8ft*30ft ground floor and 8ft*15ft first floor.

Obviously it's impossible to give anything like exact figures but it would
be nice to have an idea of if I'm talking 10 , 20 , 30 , 40k etc

Flat roof or pitched?

I would guess that even with a flat roof you would be looking at the top
end of your scale there as a minimum figure. With a nice pitched roof
then you could easily run £60k+

You could however DIY for £20 - 25k I would have thought.

Yes I realise I could phone a couple of builders but in my experience they
don't like to give even rough guesstimates on the phone and I don't want to
waste their time getting them to visit as this isn't something I'd be
getting done for a long while.

To get a decent idea it would help to have a set of plans drawn (may
cost you £350) - may also cost as much again to get them submitted and
approved by building control.

--
Cheers,

John.