Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default [OT] rough guide to cost of extension?

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in message
This is pretty much directly opposed to on-topic as it involves getting
builders in but I thought people here would be knowledgeable on such
matters.

I'm idly considering an extension to my house and wondered if anyone has a
rough idea how much it's likely to cost.
I was thinking of a fairly lengthy 2 car long single width garage on the
ground floor , then an extra bedroom above part of the garage on the first
floor. That's probably about 8ft*30ft ground floor and 8ft*15ft first
floor.

I've heard the current figures are about £1000 - £1500 per square metre, the
lower figure for basic rooms with electrics & plumbing - the upper for
'ready to live in' standards of finish. If you go for quality flooring and
high standard fittings, you can be looking at £2000 per square metre and
above.

Obviously it's impossible to give anything like exact figures but it would
be nice to have an idea of if I'm talking 10 , 20 , 30 , 40k etc

I would estimate about 50 - 60k.

Yes I realise I could phone a couple of builders but in my experience they
don't like to give even rough guesstimates on the phone and I don't want
to waste their time getting them to visit as this isn't something I'd be
getting done for a long while.
Oh, and it's in the west midlands as that will obviously affect the price.

--
Alex - posting using all 64 bits in widescreen :0)

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk