Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Default [OT] rough guide to cost of extension?

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
The Wanderer wrote:
On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:25:01 +0100, Dr Zoidberg wrote:

This is pretty much directly opposed to on-topic as it involves
getting builders in but I thought people here would be knowledgeable
on such matters.

I'm idly considering an extension to my house and wondered if anyone
has a rough idea how much it's likely to cost.

A *very* long time since I did the same, and TBH, I really can't
remember what the bottom line total was, all I would say is when you
come up with a ball-park figure, double it and you won't be too far
out from the final cost. :-(

As an aside, having lived through the experience once, I vowed I'd
never do the same again. The aggravation and hassle just ain't worth
it. I'd move every time to get more room.

Theoretically , what I have in mind shouldn't cause too much
disruption or mess in the rest of the house as the extension would
start behind the existing front door and the only access would be
converting a window on the landing at the side of the house into a
doorway to the new bedroom , but I do know how building works can
find themselves taking a very different course to plans.

Moving house means a lot of "wasted" money in stamp duty , estate
agent and solicitors fees and other costs and isn't exactly hassle
free either.
Still , I take your point and when this comes to a serious choice
rather than idle speculation I'd have to think long and hard about
how much potential saving there is by extending Vs moving.

Another factor would be the difference in value of my house before
and after extension compared to the cost.

I think in general a good extension adds more value than it costs ,
but I know that isn't always the case.

here's a gift to you and the other diy'ers who ought to know better.

get a copy of UK building costs blackbook from Franklin + Andrews
http://www.franklinandrews.com/publications/hutchins/ it's not THE bible
but it's what quite a few tradespeople use to generate /estimates/ from.

estimates, mind. not quotes, but it will give you your ball park figure
from which to gauge your opponents. it will also help you to think
clearly about exactly what you want by way of building works.

hth