Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dr Zoidberg Dr Zoidberg is offline

Default [OT] rough guide to cost of extension?

The Wanderer wrote:
On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:25:01 +0100, Dr Zoidberg wrote:

This is pretty much directly opposed to on-topic as it involves
getting builders in but I thought people here would be knowledgeable
on such matters.

I'm idly considering an extension to my house and wondered if anyone
has a rough idea how much it's likely to cost.

A *very* long time since I did the same, and TBH, I really can't
remember what the bottom line total was, all I would say is when you
come up with a ball-park figure, double it and you won't be too far
out from the final cost. :-(

As an aside, having lived through the experience once, I vowed I'd
never do the same again. The aggravation and hassle just ain't worth
it. I'd move every time to get more room.

Theoretically , what I have in mind shouldn't cause too much disruption or
mess in the rest of the house as the extension would start behind the
existing front door and the only access would be converting a window on the
landing at the side of the house into a doorway to the new bedroom , but I
do know how building works can find themselves taking a very different
course to plans.

Moving house means a lot of "wasted" money in stamp duty , estate agent and
solicitors fees and other costs and isn't exactly hassle free either.

Still , I take your point and when this comes to a serious choice rather
than idle speculation I'd have to think long and hard about how much
potential saving there is by extending Vs moving.

Another factor would be the difference in value of my house before and after
extension compared to the cost.

I think in general a good extension adds more value than it costs , but I
know that isn't always the case.

--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk