Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Why do old trinitron tubes go green?

wrote:
mc wrote:
"Jamie" t wrote in

message
h wrote:

As per subject. My other old CRTs go dim but all the trinitron

ones go
green. Is there a simple explanation?

green does the least work.

Hmmm...

Trinitron is a single-gun tube. I would expect it to go dim rather

than
having a color shift. If it goes green, maybe by losing the ability

deflect the electron beam from stripe to stripe?

1 gun in terms of G1,G2 but 3 separate cathodes that do indeed age at
different rates. I spotted a Sony PVM1354 at work today that is going
green and will need a new bottle shortly. Another common age symptom is
is highlight clipping of a single color, often red. It resembles a
'puddle' of the bad color. Only cure is to replace the tube.

GG

Trinitrons often suffer from falling emission but are easy to repair.
Apply +33% heater boost, and if this isnt enough apply +50%. This is
permament voltage boost, not a rejuve. Keep the rejuve machine well
away from them.

On an experimental set I used +70% heater boost (they ran yellow) and
IIRC +10% EHT boost. It ran fine that way for years, but you cant do
that sort of thing for other people. Dont boost EHT unless you know the
tube's x-ray limit rating, otherwise you can go over that sometimes.
When I got the set, none of the chanels were visible indoors in
daytime, and I fancied a challenge. I was very surprised the set
survived and worked, but it did, for years.

NT