Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Please Help! 4 bulb antique floor lap wiring

James Sweet writes:

wrote:
Note antique lamps were NOT built to todays safety standards some tip
over easy. that happened to a friend 125 thousand in home firee damage
caused by antique lamp tipping over.

If in doubt cut wire off lamp keep as momento buy new lamp for safety

I know the type he's talking about, they're huge and heavy, quite common
and somewhat valuable as well. If in doubt, put compact fluorescents in
it. I can't stand to see electrical things used strictly as decoration,
it's easy enough to make them work.

If you're the type who throw everything out every 5 years, then your
lamps are made of plastic, already had no value when purchased, and
probably melt down with anything above a 60 W (normal) bulb.

There are millions upon millions of older (not antique) lamps in homes
that are mostly metal and could actually take 100 W bulbs without damage.
When rewired with properly, they are safe.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/