Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Buzzing dimmer switch

"CJT" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
Is it normal for a dimmer switch for a light to hum or buzz when turned
on? My new dimmer switch is humming so I'm wondering if something was
screwed up during the installation.

FWIW, mine don't.

Perhaps yours is heavily loaded (relative to its capacity) or
overloaded, or poorly designed, or defective. There's not much
that can go wrong with the installation.

Dimmers are cheap, so I'd probably replace it even if for no other
reason than to eliminate the annoyance.

Are you sure it's the switch and not the lamp(s)? I don't think
it's unusual for lamps to buzz when dimmed; dimming can cause
thermal stresses that some lamps don't handle well.

--

A cheap dimmer, well that sucks! It is most definitely NOT the light that
is buzzing, but the dimmer. I can hear it clearly when I put my ear to the

On a second note, aside from the buzzing, is there anything dangerous about
its condition, or is it simply buzzing because of cheap construction. I
believe I understand how dimmers work, is it possible that the lights might
also affect how it performs.