Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Please Help! 4 bulb antique floor lap wiring

On 11 Aug 2006 12:45:08 -0700, "
wrote:

Note antique lamps were NOT built to todays safety standards some tip
over easy. that happened to a friend 125 thousand in home firee damage
caused by antique lamp tipping over.

If in doubt cut wire off lamp keep as momento buy new lamp for safety

memento!

Probably a typo but if a mistake, a very common one. I even hear it
on TV sometimes from educated people. Momento is Spanish for moment;
memento is related iirc to memory.

Stacy's great grandmother might be no older than my mother, who would
be 99 now. So while it might be old enough to not be safe, I'm pretty
sure my mother's lamp was built to the same standards as now, with the
possible exception of the wire's insulation, which might be crumbling,
especially, maybe only, where it bends where it goes into the lamp.
But Tracy said he's rewiring it.