Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] radio@mesmerized.org is offline

Default removing/covering up bad paint

all right. i am in the process of scraping paint off my bathroom walls
and ceiling. i don't want to scrape anymore!

i don't know if there is some sort of sealer on the walls or what. it's
drywall, the building was built in 1980. there is something on the
walls, i don't think it's oil paint because it doesn't come off unless
i gouge at it with the scraper, but it's glossy and was probably at one
time white but is now yellow. i'd primed and painted over it probably 3
years ago. there are places where it was peeling, so i started to pick
at it and a lot of it peeled off, sometimes in fairly large sized
sheets.

that would be fine if i could take it all off that way, but what's left
is sticking pretty well and is hard to scrape. i haven't even started
the ceiling.

my question is: can i just put drywall mud or plaster or something to
that extent over it? will it stick or will it more likely flake off?

my bathroom's been in disarray for the last month because i can only
spend about an hour at a time before i get bored/frustrated and need to
do something else and at this point i'm about 50% done... i need my
bathroom back!

thanks.