Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Bowl Finishes/Food Safe

I used walnut oil from the grocery store, and beeswax on top of that
for years, but have switched to Mike Mahoney's walnut oil, and follow
it with his wax mix. Excellent stuff, you can buy the oil by the
gallon, and it leaves a better finish than my previous method. You can
google Mike Mahoney turner for his web site.
robo hippy
Bill Day wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:56:10 GMT, "Steven trauthwein"
wrote:

I have been using Behlen's. I like it but would like to add a softer oil
finish to my tool kit.

Has anyone any info on polymerized tung oil or linseed oil.

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards, Steve

Walnut oil and Beall buffing on 98% of everything I do......the type
or wood then becomes the issue when food-safe is concerned. Some woods
just should not have food in contact. (Most of what I do is not
particularly designed for food, anyway) If you intend to do mostly
salad bowls, platters...etc, it is best to choose woods that are noted
for these uses.

PURE Tung oil is also good, I have just gotten in the Walnut oil
habit.