Posted to alt.home.repair
JimL JimL is offline

Default Ideal Overlap on Cedar Clapboards

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 18:43:22 GMT, blueman wrote:

I need to replace some isolated clapboards on our 100+ yr old house.
The exposure varies from 4" to almost 5" meaning that I probably can't
use regular 6" cedar clapboards (with actual width of 5 1/2").

So my plan is to buy 8" clapboards and rip them to width.

What is the proper (ideal) amount of OVERLAP that I should leave?
What is the MINIMAL overlap that I can leave?
(i.e. width of ripped clapboard minus exposure)

When ripping should I be ripping from the non-tapered end then?

Thanks!

I'd go with what you already have. Take an average and make that
your design width.