Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
Clint Clint is offline

Default Suggested price on a Delta 46-700 lathe

By "real fair", do you mean widder-woman fair, or fair for both parties? I
don't want to insult the guy by low-balling him on the price; he's getting
out of the hobby for reasons I'm grateful I don't have to deal with.

Clint

"LRod" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 01:57:27 GMT, "Clint" wrote:

Found someone who's got one for sale; sounds like he's taken good care of
his equipment. For one of these in good shape, what sort of price would
be
fair? I don't want to low-ball him on a price, but I have a reasonably
limited budget for toys right now, and wasn't really planning on buying a
lathe right now, but not many used ones show up around here.

FWIW, I'm up in Canada. I checked some of the sites I'm aware of to see
what the current retail is on it, but it doesn't seem to still be for
sale.

It's been supplanted by, I believe, the 46-715. When it was still
available, I think it was around 600USD or so--make the appropriate
conversion for canuckistani dolers.

About a year ago I happened on one (with the stand, which makes it a
46-701) being sold used from the classroom at a nearby Woodcraft. They
had a price tag of $250 on it. I didn't argue.

An epilogue to that story is that it was missing a manual (easily
obtained from Delta), a live center (had one on my Jet Mini which
works nicely), tommy bar, and the face plate (similarly, the ones from
the Jet fit fine). Not three days after coming home, a wrecker posted
a for sale for some Delta lathe parts. He lives halfway to the
Woodcraft store. He wanted $15 for the lot. It was as if someone had
given him the exact parts that were missing from mine. And I made a
new friend (hi, Jim--long time no hear).

$250 seemed to me a real fair price then and still does (with the
aforementioned conversion). The lathe is perfect for my intended uses.
I will never be a turner that needs a Powermatic, One-Way, Stubby, or
the like. It's principal limitation (which is anecdotal--I haven't
experienced it yet) is that the Reeves drive doesn't transmit torque
well at low speed.

If you do get it, let me give you a hint for working protocol. You're
not supposed to change speeds without the motor on. Therefore, get in
the habit of turning the speed down every time before you turn it off.
I have twice already found that I had left the control up at sanding
speed, turned the lathe off, then chucked up a big 'ol, out of balance
slab of bowl stock, and reached for the switch. Thankfully, I thought
about it each time before I turned it on. Could be nasty.

That doesn't make the lathe unsatisfactory. It's a feature.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.