Posted to sci.electronics.repair
NN NN is offline

Default Voltage drop an issue with small 12v and low amp stuff?

Jim Land (NO SPAM) wrote:
"NN" wrote in
oups.com:

Ok , all points to needing larger guage wire, I have a lot of phone
wire with 4 strands, can I use two strands per connection to double
the size? For example, does a 6 gauge wire behave the same way as two
insulated 3 gauge wires use together?

Yes, but the other way around. (6 gauge wire is *smaller* than 3 gauge
wire.) Two 6 gauge wires connected in parallel will give the same
voltage drop as one 3 gauge wire. (Assuming American Wire Gauge.)

However, your telephone wire is likely to be more like 26 or 28 gauge,
fine for carrying telephone conversations, but very small for carrying
current to your camera. Try something a lot larger, like 18 gauge (the
wire for an electric lamp) or 16 (an extension cord) or 14 (house
wiring).

Yes , I got it the sizes reversed.

Thankyou for all the help leading to the solution