Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lime or cement mortar?

Weatherlawyer wrote:
John Stumbles wrote:

Have there ever been cement ceilings? I thought the alternative to lime
plaster (and laths) was plasterboard.

I know that plasterboard has been in use for 40 to 50 years or more.
Which about the same time finishing plaster was sold in bags the way it
is now. Prior to that ceilings were a bugger to do. And they had to be
done using reinforced mortar.

When PB came out it had a coarser surface than todays and was nailed in
place then all the joints covered with strips of 2" or so wide wood. I
saw a place done like this once, it looked terrible. Whatever possessed
them to do it like that? I thought it dated back to the 30s, but not
sure.

NT