Posted to alt.home.repair
jmyszka jmyszka is offline

Default Wood Floor - Subfloor question

I just spoke with the builder, and they tell me that it is 2-3'' of
lightweight concrete for noise/fire prevention purposes (the garage is
on the first floor). My guess is that this means I now have a
glue-down job?

The concrete is fairly clean, I have swept and vaccumed. Do I need to
use concrete cleaner before I can glue?

Thanks,

Joe

krw wrote:
In article .com,
says...
I am planning on installing 5/8'' bamboo flooring in my three story
townhouse. I just ripped up the carpet and pad on the second floor and
discovered the subfloor material is not wood, but rather something that
resembles cement board used for tiling. When I pulled the nails from
the carpet tack strips out, some small pieces flaked off.

Could it be homasote and someone thought this would make the floor
quieter? Maybe there is plywood underneath? In any case, I think
it's got to go.

Does anyone have an idea of what material this subfloor might be? Is
my guess of cement board correct? I would take a piece of it to home
depot to compare, but just haven't had the time. If it is cement
board, am I correct in assuming that my nail-down job just became a
glue down job?

No, I think you now have a "rip up" job first. Bummer, eh?

--
Keith