Posted to alt.home.repair
JimL JimL is offline

Default Sound of Car Door Slamming

On 11 Aug 2006 02:10:08 -0700, "sky" wrote:

JimL wrote:
We recently moved the country to an old homestead.

Normally we like the quiet, but we are really starting to get freaked
out by the sounds of a car door slamming.

Every time it happens, we go the front of the house and look out in
our driveway which is a quarter mile from the dirt county road and
there is nothing there. It is half a mile to the nearest neighbor.

We contacted the previous owner said she said it spooked her, too.

This has been happening at least once a day for the last 3 months and
we are frustrated.

Any ideas?

Well, JimL..........any luck so far?.......

I'm shocked that it isn't a common occurence. I was expecting a lot
of "Yeah, I hear that all the time."

I've discussed it with my sisters and pretty sure it is either
ghosts or really unusual atmospheric conditions that amplify an actual
car door slamming about a mile or two away and make it sound like it
is in the front yard. Kind of like the Marfa lights.

It only happens in the heat of a hot summer day - no wind, no ac.
Windows open. And only maybe once or twice a month.

Multiple people in the house hear it.

The house is about 3 miles from a small mountain range on one side
and on the upper edge of a small valley and creek on the other side

Sound travels down that valley very easily and also on real still
nights you can hear the radio in truckers cabs from 3 miles away on
the hwy.