Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Please Help! 4 bulb antique floor lap wiring

Tracy wrote:
I have my great grandmothers 4 bulb floor lamp that has started to make
crackling noises in the upper bulb. I would like to rewire all ends. It
has me lost as to which wire goes where. Ok.... I also didnt write down
everything ( or map it) while taking it apart. :{ Big Mistake!

The 3 lower bulbs connect to the lower turning switch. Turn once for one
light on, turn again for 2 lights on, turn again for 3 lights on at
once, turn again and all off. The switch has a black, blue and, red wire
coming from it.

The way you describe the switch as having only three leads on it, I'd
say the the bulb lighting sequence for the first three lights had to be:

*********************

All OFF

#1 ON, #2 & #3 OFF

#1 OFF, #2 & #3 ON

#1, #2 and #3 all ON

All OFF again

********************

So, here goes, without benefit of a meter:

Connect the lamp cord's neutral side (the wide plug blade or ribbed side
of the two conductor cord) to the "shell" terminals on ALL four sockets.

Connect the other (hot) side of the lamp cord to the BLACK wire on the
lower switch and also to one lead of the upper switch.

Connect the BLUE wire to the #1 bulb socket's "tip" side and the RED
wire to the #2 and #3 bulbs sockets's "tip" sides.

connect the other lead from the upper switch to the #4 bulb socket's
"tip" terminal.

*****

Now, if the lower switch doesn't control the first three bulbs in the
expected fashion, experiment by swapping the three leads on that switch
around, starting with RED and BLUE. You can't blow anything up that way,
and eventually you'll hit the right combination to control the lights as
you described.

HTH,

Jeff

--