Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Bonner Martin Bonner is offline

Default Lime or cement mortar?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
Lime or cement mortar?

I won't bother to go through pickling out the things that are plain
wrong, and those that are simply exaggerated through prejudice.

PLEASE do. Most of the OP seemed very reasonable to me, but I would
love to hear opposing views. (I have to say that the paens of praise
for the visual appearance of lime mortar struck me as over-egging the
pudding).

Suffice to say there are good reasons why Portland cement is used rather
than lime, these days.

To be fair, the OP did start:
This is specific to old buildings, and walls of similar construction.

With a new build, hard-fired bricks, DPC, and extensive foundations, a
lot of the arguments for lime go away.