Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] user1964@yahoo.com is offline

Default Hidden Deck Fasteners

Duke1973 wrote:
Thanks for the Input Craven,

Another question I have though is when using cedar or pressure treated
there is some shrinkage in the wood. Is this a concern when using
the hidden fasteners. Is there a chance of the fasteners coming loose
from the wood? You have used both products.....which one would you
recommend (that is if I can get my hands on the Tiger Claws).

I build a 350 sq ft deck 6" x 3/4" brazilian redwood using Eb-Ty
fasteners earlier this year. I looked at the Tiger Claw fasteners too,
but had serious doubts about being able to use them with longer boards.
The Eb-Ty method may be a bit more time consuming but I never consider
time to be an issue on a DIY job.
We've had a very hot and dry month of july here in Belgium and the
boards have shrinked substantially (spacing increased from the initial
3/32" in april to 1/4" now). Also, the edges of the boards have come up
about 1/16" to 3/32" resulting in a hollow board profile. Nevertheless,
the deck is still feeling quite solid and I see no signs whatsoever
about cracks or anything getting loose. One summer may not be long
enough to judge but I have confidence that the fasteners will hold.
A tip when using the Eb-Ty: do not fully thighten the fasteners for one
board until you have slidden in the next board. It may otherwise be
difficult to get the next board in.

Koen