Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default GFCI added to Knob & Tube to protect circuits?

wrote:
I have an electrician coming tomorrow to look at my newly aquired old
house which has some knob & tube in it that I have to update for
insurance purposes. The home inspector showed me how it's only the
old lighting that now uses the knob & tube, all other electrical has
been updated.

The electrician said on the phone that it's possible that he can just
add GFCIs to each knob & tube circuit to satisfy the insurance people.
This will avoid having to rip plaster walls apart.

Is this an accepted way to resolve the knob & tube issue?

You may need to contact the local code enforcement or insurance people
to determine what they want. Just adding GFCI will not change many of the
issues some areas and regulations have with K&T.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit