Posted to rec.woodworking
N Hurst N Hurst is offline

Default Hypothetical question for wreckers

foggytown wrote:
Assume that there were no power tools in the world. Would you still be
a keen woodworker? Be honest.

I don't think I would, at least not to anywhere near the extent I am at
the moment. There would be so many things I would be unable to do, or
would be able to do in a crude manner. It would drive me nuts.
Frustration would reign. Does that make me a true Normite? (sigh) I
guess it does!

FoggyTown

I would be a woodworker largely to the extent that I am currently: I
would do my best to make useful things for my family.

Honestly, it might even be more fun... it honestly depends on what you
enjoy mo the results or the process.

The hardest thing would be learning how to use a handsaw properly so
your cuts are straight enough to make planing more effective or even
unnecessary, depending on the use.

In a related note, if you haven't already, check out the Firefox series
of books (amazon has them). They're amazing collections of old-school
know-how and history.

-Nathan