Posted to alt.home.repair
Craven Morehead Craven Morehead is offline

Default Hidden Deck Fasteners

I have not used cedar in any big project but "warpage" is a common problem
with pressure treated pine. If the wood is to come in direct contact with
dirt and / or cost is the deciding factor, I suppose PT is a choice. I
ended up using 4" x 4" PT posts for the railing supports on my deck, then
hiding them with Veranda sleeves. Each post was anchored in concrete and
was absolutely square and plumb when installed but two out of four twisted
within a month, as they dried out. I believe cedar is not PT so perhaps
this would not be a problem.

Remember, each deck board is also glued to the joist so you are not relying
on just the fastener for long term stability, at least with Eb-Ty. Each
fastener is screwed to the joist with a 2" stainless steel screw so that
should last a while (time will say).

I would use Eb-Ty again over Tiger Claw. Not just because Tiger Claw is
available (or used to be, or maybe is again) from the holy H (ugh!) but
because of the effort involved in installing boards. I just checked their
web site and watched the installation video, which makes it look easier that
it was for me. It may be a bit easier with soft woods like cedar.

Another "groupie" endorsed "Deckmaster" but I don't believe that is an
option unless you like hammering while lying on your back.

"Duke1973" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the Input Craven,

Another question I have though is when using cedar or pressure treated
there is some shrinkage in the wood. Is this a concern when using
the hidden fasteners. Is there a chance of the fasteners coming loose
from the wood? You have used both products.....which one would you
recommend (that is if I can get my hands on the Tiger Claws).