Posted to rec.woodworking
John Partridge John Partridge is offline

Default Question for Ridgid Bandsaw Owners

Now if my back holds up, I'll have a nice new old saw.

Last year I had to get a couple of hot water heaters out of my basement by
myself, and my back has seen better days.

I removed the basement door and laid some plywood over the treads to make a
ramp. A 4x4 across the door opening gave me something to hook a comealong
to. It was pretty easy thanks to the water heater being slippery. For a
bandsaw I'd probably use a hand truck laying on it's back and do something
to keep the rubber handles off the plywood, or maybe use a furniture dolly -
nah, balancing a bandsaw would be too difficult.

Two things that both come into play when you reach the top of the stairs:
the 4x4 needs to be off the floor enough so the saw can side under it, and
hook your comealong cable to about the midpoint of the saw so it doesn't
become useless with 3 or 4 stairs to go.

Good luck.

John